2727 Electric Road, Suite 207
Roanoke, VA 24018

Call Today!
(540) 904-5704

Frequently Asked Questions (“FAQ”)
on the Basics of Divorce

McGraw Law P.C., Offers Answers with Experience to Assist Clients

McGraw Law P.C. provides answers to questions that many clients ask when having an attorney. Do you have more questions about divorce? Call McGraw Law P.C. today at (540) 904-5704 or message us online.

Q: What is a "Divorce"?

A: A divorce, sometimes called a decree of “dissolution of marriage,” is a court order terminating a marriage. Unlike an annulment, which states that the marriage never existed, a divorce is the termination of a valid marriage. In the divorce, the parties and/or the court, will resolve all issues between them, such as division of property, child custody and visitation, and spousal and child support.

Q: Can I Get Divorced Before We Finish All the Details?

A: In many states the answer is “yes”. The typical case is one in which one spouse wants to remarry before resolving all the other issues such as child custody and visitation, support, distribution of property, and attorney fees. In states permitting this “bifurcation”, the court will handle the end of the marriage from the other issues. This permits the parties to remarry while providing them extra time to resolve the remaining issues. If the parties cannot negotiate matters themselves, the court retains the ability to resolve all remaining issues at trial.

Q: What is a "Bifurcation" of Marital Status?

A: In a dissolution of marriage lawsuit, one spouse may want to get married before resolving all issues. This lawsuit begins with, child custody, child visitation, child support, spousal support, distribution of property, attorney fees, and personal conduct. Under state law, one spouse may be able to have the issue of marital status taken from the other issues, to remarry while providing extra time to work to resolve the remaining issues. With a “bifurcating” marital status from the other issues, a spouse can return to the legal status of an unmarried person, while the court retains the ability to resolve the remaining issues at trial if a negotiation fails.

Q: Where Do I File for Divorce?

A: Divorce actions become filed in the circuit court. Preferred venues are the county where you last lived as husband and wife or where the defendant in the action lives.

Q: How Long Will it Take Me to Get a Divorce?

A: If you are proceeding on fault grounds, such as cruelty, desertion, or adultery, you can file immediately. If the matter is debated, it can take six months, a year, or more to go through the process of litigating the fault grounds. These may be separate hearings and can lengthen the process. If you are proceeding on no-fault grounds based upon separation, you must separate with your spouse within the required period of time. If there are children, or you do not have a separation agreement, you must wait one year. If there are no children and you have an agreement, you and your spouse have to separate for six months. When you file on no-fault grounds you can usually get the divorce in several months, sometimes less. It depends on the efficiency of your local court.

Q: May the Provisions in a Divorce Become Changed Afterwards?

A: Unless there is a provision in the separation agreement to do so, they cannot. But, there is a provision in the law to amend spousal or child support based upon a change of circumstances. The only other provision available is fraud. If a party commits fraud in the negotiation of an agreement, it may allow for a change in the agreement to correct it. There is also a provision in the law to correct mistakes in drafting. But, usually the mistake must not be unilateral, that is, only one party believes that the language is in error.